Thread: Athlete all Ds
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
whodat7
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Athlete all Ds

Cusegirl and Speedtrucker are making perfect sense..I guess it'd be easier to understand if you could relate to it yourself. Not necessarily a position change but even a change of sports could make you lose skill somewhere in order to be better at something else.

No one is saying that Randle-El wouldn't be able to 'get it back' at QB. Problem is, it would take too much time because he'd be fighting against his age (he's 32). Yes, there are older QB's in the NFL. But they are maintaining their physical talent, not trying to recondition themselves. And I'm sure, if he ever did successfully convert, his speed would have degressed to the likes of Donovan McNabb by that time. There's so many factors as to why a person can't be good at everything.

So to translate this to a video game...Yes, raw talent such as speed shouldn't be touched. Maybe (not always) if a WR moves to being a pocket passer they may lose a step after 2 or 3 years, but for the sake of EA and this game, it'd be better untouched. Acquired skills/attributes should decline. If a WR converts to a DB, their route running will look raw after a while. If a DB converts to a WR, there is a high possibility that the WR will not be able to tackle and cover as good.

A lot of WR's in the NFL and NCAA have played DB in college at some point in time. If they really are that amazing of an athlete, why is it I have yet to see Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed getting hit sticked on an interception return by a WR that used to be an Athlete?

I'm getting the notion that some people believe that every Athlete is built like Deion Sanders. An athlete converts to a position because they have defined what craft they want to master. In exchange they leave many acquired skills behind. The last athlete (as in entering the draft as an Athlete, not labeled as a posiiton) I can recall being respectably drafted is Devin Hester. And you see how he's doing deciding to play Offense or Defense. The amount of loss and gain of certain skill sets changes on a case by case basis. If everyone were superman, I'd recruit nothing but Athletes as coach, and make the most exotic defensive and offensive schemes you'd ever see.

A quote you hear a lot is 10% Physical, 90% Mental. Mental is not raw talent. Mental is learned. Mental is the reason why players are good, and I whole heartedly believe that it starts in the mind. That 90% tells you what you can and can't do with your other 10% and puts you in a position to make plays.

Anyone without a physical disorder (10%) can ride a bike. The issue is learning how to (90%).

Last edited by whodat7; 02-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.