Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #401
Knight165
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: OS Cars Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase89
I've sort of adopted my dad's mentality and try to learn how to do everything on my own. If I ever have a kid, I'll teach them how to rebuild a carburetor, at a very young age

He won't pay anyone to do something he can do himself. When I was 17 and my Honda Civic's oil pump locked up, it completely screwed my engine up. He had never taken a 4 cyl. car's engine apart, but he did and we made a parts list and got everything ordered and he did the majority of the work. We had it rebuilt within a few days..

The only work he didn't do, was re surfacing the head head.. which was done by one of his friends.

I just wish to be that good, one day.

Well you and I are in the same boat of sorts.
After returning from WWII....my pop wasn't sure what to do. He was in the Army Corps of Engineers...but wasn't ready for Engineering here in the States.
He instead went to automotive school and got his license as a mechanic.
He set up shop on 14th Street and 10th Avenue in Manhattan(the meat market district) and basically repaired trucks while finishing up Engineering School(years later)
He swore after years and years of rebuilding truck motors....rear ends...transmissions...you name it, sometimes in the street outside the shop that he wouldn't do it again. So my car repair advice came from me setting up in front of the house...and him yelling instructions to me from the window!(2nd floor!)
Some of it stuck. No total rebuilds though. I wish I could.
I'm not afraid to rip it apart...I just wish I could always put it back together!
Maybe I'll drive the Roady to Alabama for a tune up!

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove