Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #338
Psyblast
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Stanford Cardinal (NCAA 12)

Simmons says goodbye

January 12, 2016

Tremayne Simmons stepped into a starter's role in 2014 and produced a solid season of 52 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks. His production spiked in 2015 to 85 tackles, 25 TFL and 6.5 sacks. Based on that rise, he'd be in line for a Butkus Award-like season in 2016.

But it's not going to happen, as Simmons announced Monday he's skipping his fifth year at Stanford in favor of the NFL Draft.

"I'm grateful for every second of my time at Stanford," Simmons said. "Coach Kudron made me one of his most important recruits during his first year, and I look at him as a second father. The entire Stanford family made me one of their own, and part of the reason I'm leaving now is I feel comfortable knowing that I have the support of so many people around me. Coach Kudron told me he's proud of me and he'll support whatever decision I make, and that I'll always be part of the Stanford program, and I'm welcome back anytime."

Even bigger news for Stanford fans is that Simmons is the only player leaving early. That means, yes, Shane Williams is returning for his junior season in 2016

Others, including Lance Pope, Andrew Edwards, and Curtis Webb, flirted with the idea of leaving early, but all ultimately decided to return.