View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
seb170455
MVP

seb170455's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Seb170455'Carolina Hurricanes: Will the Hurricanes bring Dorothy the cup or Oz?

This is Ron Maclean for a special report from Raleigh, North Carolina. In a press meeting governor Karmanos Jr. has just introduced Jo Loonstra as the new General Manager of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Loonstra is not well known in the US and Canada. This Dutch GM has his hockey roots in Europe, where he played, coached and managed in different countries. The signing of GM Loonstra was a total suprise for all of us. After many speculations Karmanos Jr. choose for his dark horse.
GM Jo Loonstra spoke to the press shortly. This is what he had to say.

Loonstra: "I want to thank everybody for coming to this press conference. I want to thank the management of the Carolina Hurricanes for this great opportunity. My intensions are to bring back the Carolina Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup Finals. We want to build a solid playoff contender. We will try to build through the draft and turn our prospects into solid or star players in the NHL. This doesn't mean we won't make big splashes or blockbusting trades. I hope headcoach Kirk Muller and me will have a great time and that captain Staal will once again lift the biggest trophy in sports, the Stanley Cup."

The press had numerous of questions for Loonstra. But he did not give us much. He told us he first wants to evaluate his team together with Muller. He had one quote which was interesting. Loonstra responded to the question where the Hurricanes will end with him at the helm: "I hope these Hurricanes give Dorothy the cup and doesn't sweep her into Oz."
We will see what shape GM Loonstra will take on. Which character will Loonstra be? Is he the Cowardly Lion that will fail to think big? Is he the Tin Woodman that has not enough heart for the NHL way of managing hockey? Or is he the Scarecrow that only makes descisions with his heart and not his brain? We will hope he turns out to be a Wizard that gives Carolina the Stanley Cup. We'll have to wait and see. This was Ron MacLean for Hockey Night in Canada.