View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #96
aukevin
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

Loved playing The Show over lunch on the Vita, Braves vs Mets, that was awesome. I'm going to have to read the instructions to see what some of the controls are though. I tried to lead off and my player stole second, not sure what the right way to lead off is now that there is only one L shoulder button and no trigger. Also couldn't figure out how to show the API a second time during pitch selection, didn't that used to be R2, which isn't there anymore.

I thought the graphics looked great on the little screen. Didn't really have a problem hitting or adjusting to pitches. The hardest thing was the left analog. It's always been in a bad position for me on the Sony consoles, but now with it even smaller it was pretty tough for me to get accurate, especially lining my pitch up.

Wasn't a big fan of Pulse Pitching on the Vita the first time through, will have to see if it is any better on the PS3. Meter pitch is still awesome, timing of that on the Vita was perfect.

The lack of cutscenes and celebration was a big bummer though. The I won on a walk-off 3-run HR by Jason Heyward and didn't get to see any of it, not even a replay from the main menu. At least during the game you can cue up an instant replay, but you are out of luck on the final play of the game. I didn't really miss the stuff during the game because I usually skip that stuff anyway, but having nothing at the end was pretty sad.

The game still took me an hour to complete, well probably about 50 minutes. That was a 9 inning game. There was a good bit of offense in the game, I trailed 3-0 early, cut it to 3-2 on a Freeman HR, Mets extended to 4-2, then I won with a walkoff by Heyward 6-4.

I don't want anyone to think these are negative impressions, because the game is still super fun to play. And now on the go is great.