View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
dalger21
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

The key to being a good hitter in The Show (or any baseball game tbh) is to have patient. You can't swing at every pitch that looks good coming out of the pitchers hand. Otherwise, you will spend your time frustrated because you're striking out so much or hitting weak grounders.

My RttS player always has had a high walk total simply because I don't chase pitches all that often. The key is to recognize the speed and flight of the ball. I know it is easier said than done but it is the truth. For instance, the change up is probably the pitch that people have the hardest time laying off, me included. If someone is throwing 96 then has a change up that is at 81, that's gonna be a tough match up. What you have to do is watch the flight of the ball. If it comes out straight then you know it's a fastball. If it comes out in a "floating" motion then you know it will be an offspeed pitch.

Again, the key to it all is patience. Vary your swing pattern. Don't always swing at fast balls simply because they look good. In the previous games with my RttS player, I normally average about 100 walks per year but with 200+ hits. It's all about waiting for your pitch to hit and taking advantage of it or simply taking the walk. (just like in real life to be honest)