View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
Dellinger
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What I'm doing wrong, and What I can do about it?

@decga:
At first, I did follow the catcher's calls and sometimes would shrug it off. Then I went with just my thoughts after getting bombed for 5 games from the catcher's calls. Well, then when I went with my gut, I got bombed for 5 more games. So at this point it's more 75% my calls, 25% what the catcher calls.

@bobhead: I'll defenitely start using the mound visit more often than just buying time for the pen.

Yes, I did use an un-established change up but since it was the first inning and the pitch confidence meter was more than half full (not quite 75% full) and it was my pitcher's second best pitch that it would ok to work it in.

CPU swing probabilities you laid out, regarding the count, are duely noted. And I do try to work in my 3rd & 4th pitches for strike outs and on pitchers primarily.

I usually walk the heavies in the lineup when no one is aboard, not intentionally, but trying to hit the corners perfectly. Obviously that doesn't happen and I issue some walks but I'm trying not to give them anything in the zone.

@Ryan97:
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I made this post. Excellent info (and the other posts on this page were excellent as well.)

I 'see' what you are saying here. Makes perfect sense. I was doing pretty much what you were laying out. I was trying to change the eye-level of the hitter with my pitches... which wasn't working out well. And I was throwing a lot of pitches down in the zone but when I missed my spot, it was a HR.

I'll focus more on establishing the pitches on the first go round in the order and then change it up more on the second time through.

To all:
A few things I have noticed... Say I'm throwing a 4-seemer, sometimes I'll mis-time the meter but the pitch still goes for a strike, albeit, somewhere other than I had aimed with the ball cursor. The CPU batter will either take the pitch or swing through for a miss. It's like the CPU knows the pitch I'm throwing and the location (you could say..."Well, duh! The buttons mashed input to the computer what the pitch is and where it going!") but since I mis-timed the meter, it automaticallly lays off the pitch because it thinks it's going for a ball or it swings through assuming the pitch is going where it should gone if I did time the meter perfectly.

Very good conversations in this thread. Many thanks for all the advice. By all means, keep it coming.