View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
rymflaherty
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: OK...I Can't Hit These Daggum Changeups

I had this issue really bad last year.....Despite playing the game a ton, I've never developed a great eye for recognizing pitches out of the hand, so here is the strategy I've developed to really help myself.

If I'm facing a pitcher like you described.
I really trained (sometimes force) my eye to stay in the upper 2/3's of the zone. If a pitch is coming lower or at the bottom of that zone where my eyes are I let it go.
If he's throwing a ton of Changeups that keeps you from swinging at those nasty changeups that go out of the strike zone that you have no chance at.
If it happens to be a fastball for a strike.....It's probably not a pitch you can do much with anyway, so no loss. And I'll try to stick with this unless I get to two strikes then obviously you have to open up the zone and protect a bit more.

Doing this has helped in a few ways.....
Laying off those changeups early can get you ahead in the count and get them back to the fastball.
Laying off and taking the changeups as balls also decreases confidence in the pitch, which means eventually they start throwing it less.
And if focusing middle-up in the zone....If they throw a changeup there, in that zone, even if you are out ahead it is a pitch that can be driven.