Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Coug00
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: How do well you expect Leach to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It'll be next to impossible for them to compete for the top in the conference though, with the rich getting richer; Cal,Washington are all doing major facilities upgrades that will raise the profile of their programs. Stanford has already given its program a facelift and seems to be reaping rewards from the Andrew Luck era. Even UCLA, ASU, and Arizona have an advantage due to the sheer fact that they're not in Pullman. I hope Leach and the Cougs do well, but I think a lot of the factors that have held them back the past several years are still in play (though Wulff was a dreadful coach).
WSU is in the middle of major facility upgrades as well. Phase I is set to complete by opening kickoff. Phase II will include a large football only facility that will enclose the West End of Martin.
http://oxblue.com/open/TheCougarFootballProject

Paul Wulff was handed a steaming pile of crap. No coach would have been immediately successful after Doba left the cupboard totally bare with reduced scholarships (he had to kick off 18 of Doba's Fulmer Cup candidates in his first summer on top of that). Wulff left Leach with young talent at every position minus O-line, which is ironic considering his playing position in college and the NFL. Harbaugh wouldn't have brought him onto his coaching staff if he were clueless.

I don't buy the Pullman is impossible to recruit to. I spent 4 years there and loved it. 30,000 college students within 8 miles of each other on two college towns that no one else in the Pac-12 can offer. Parents love it because its away from the lights, temptations, and crime you'll find at UW, ASU, USC, etc. You're not going to find hobos and druggies on the edge of campus like you see on the Ave at UW. I remember 25 years ago when no one could recruit to UO because it was in Eugene.

I think Leach gives them anywhere from 4 to 7 wins. I'm not extremely worried about the O-Line considering the wide splits and the nature of Leach's quick pass Air Raid. That will help band-aid a weakness. I wouldn't be surprised if the defense gives up 35-40ppg regularly while they adjust to the game speed in the 34.