View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #1216
Broncos86
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: The more videos I watch, the less I seem to see the impact of the Infinity engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Double-teaming existing already in the M12 engine. The difference is DL isn't even give that "random double team" and/or they didn't put it in for pass protection too. They could have put in "double team 75% time of the defense is in a 3-man front". It would be just more random die-roll game play, but, from what it looks like, that's how it is when the OL double-teams on run plays.

Is that ideal? No, but would it at least occupy blockers and free up gaps? Yes, it would.

Do we need a new engine to tell 4-3 DE to get upfield? Can't players run upfield now? (of course they can) I don't think we really needed Infinity to stop the clipping - just respect hit boxes at all times - I mean, that's how collisions were detected all this time before.

Again, not ideal and I'm all for a new, better way to do it. I just don't think this better way was required to get more player logic in the game. If players can move and interact, they can be given logic to change how they move and interact. This is a ridiculous example, but if the game looked like and used the same engine Galaga on the arcade - the players could curve out and then come in. The OL could curve in towards the QB. The G could just not be "allowed" to leave their spots while the T battled the DE. Heck, the scorpion-like monster had double-team "blocking" protecting it as it swooped in to attack sometimes.

Surely, the M12 engine is more refined than Galaga's 1980-something engine. So I think it's already possible.

Physics makes the movement and interaction look, feel, and resolve much better, but physics + same logic = good looking bad execution, imo. Better logic + no physics = bad looking/not optimally achieved good execution, imo.

Obviously, I want both. But if I must choose, I'd take the latter, though I realize I am likely the crazy guy in the corner again.

I think the player behavior is solely a logic issue. Behavior resolution (i.e. the result of whatever the players tried to do) is definitely helped by physics and even what pieces exists of the Infinity Engine. Clipping dying alone is great.

I just don't think we needed physics to stop a lot of the whack stuff we've seen. I mean - we needed physics to have the MLB not run around the OL to try to get to the ball carrier? Or to stop the warping/sliding?

Other games somehow avoided this without physics. Not just 2K, but FBPro, Tecmo Bowl, etc.
But again, I'm also arguing development time. I'm not just talking about what's possible, I'm talking about the time needed to prioritize those fixes. If a band aid to line play takes up time that would've been spent elsewhere, then I'll deal with the shoddy line play for one more year.