View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
BlueNGold
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Favorite NFL team in Utah

The more and more I see threads like this (and just this topic in general) come up, the more I think "Like who you like and don't give a **** what other people think". I mean I'm definitely one to make a bandwagoner joke when the opportunity presents itself, but it's all in good fun. People shouldn't worry if they'll be looked at as a bandwagoner/front runner/whatever if they decide they want to like a team.

This article here brings up many great points on this kind of subject.

I tend to side with what Jacoby says in that article, although I'm personally more loyal/attached to the teams I root for.

Quote:
David Jacoby

Regardless of what some people believe (read: Bill), there are no rules for being a sports fan. You can be a fan of whatever team you want, whenever you want. The team you root for is a completely subjective concept, and there isn't some committee (read: Bill) that sets guidelines and allows you a window to make a switch. That is some bull****. Who is someone else to tell me what team they "are fine with" me being a fan of? When I turn on the television and see two teams trying to win a game, I don't send an e-mail to a distribution list asking if it is OK for me to want one team to win more than the other, it just happens in my heart. If you're a Knicks fan and you want to root for the Nets, go right ahead. Who cares? That is what I will be doing. I know this opinion is unpopular, but you know what isn't unpopular? ****ing freedom. So while all of you are asking each other permission to root for one team or another, I will be draped in the American flag drinking a Budweiser with a bald eagle perched on my arm switching sports-team allegiances. If you have a problem with that, then you should really reevaluate what is important to you.