View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
PowerofRed25
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Vintage Nebraska Offense

Biggest thing is I-Backs and a FB. I prefer speed at I-Back, but best available works well. The year I started this offense I had recruited a monster 90+ speed fullback who was 240 pounds. He went on to win the Heisman Trophy his senior year. If you don't have a good FB, this offense will go nowhere.

Recruit the best FB you can with about B speed and great blocking. At worst, you can make a TE or HB a FB, but you really should try to get a good FB.

Offensive line run blocking skills are very important as well. Some people say they don't matter, but I had a ton of success against high run block/run block footwork OL.

WR's need to be possession guys. Speed does not matter, I prefer taller, bigger guys who catch it in traffic. Also, WR blocking skills help. If you can recruit a 6'4", 240 pound TE with mid 80's speed, make him a WR. That edge blocking by the WR willl be huge for you.

QB is amazingly the least important position in this offense. You can really get away with any skill level at QB here. Ideally he'll be in the low 80's speed. Any faster and you tend to get ahead of your I-Back in the option, accuracy over throw power. You can really adapt any QB to the system though, if he is 70 speed and a better thrower, you can run Counter/Iso/Power and play action (think Wisconsin this year). If he is fast, you can run more option.

The offense is very adaptable to any personnel, but you really need a great offensive line and a great I-Back. Every year you should be grabbing 3-5 offensive linemen. I love grabbing low 70's overall 3* linemen. They are usually easy to recruit, you can redshirt them and by the time they are Juniors, they are mid 80's and very good. Obviously if you can grab high 70's/80's OL, that would be great.