View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
philliesphan026
Rookie

philliesphan026's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: FIFA 13 Likes and Dislikes

• Player skill disparity. The reasoning is basically two-fold for me, I'll break them down: The fact that the majority of the players aren't 80+ overall. This is huge for me, and one of the biggest gripes I have with games like Madden and NHL (NCAA is a bit better in this regard, but still not where I would like it). What's the point of having a rating system up to 100 if, at best, only 40% of it is utilized? In the NHL series, it seems about 80% of players in the NHL are rated between 80-90 overall. In FIFA, you can see players as low as the 40s all the way up to the 90s.

This leads me to my next point, you can really tell when you are controlling someone who is an 80 overall compared to, say, a 60 overall. The elite players stand out a lot better, especially with the new first touch system. This can easily be seen in FUT, when playing with 60s and 80s on the same squad (like I currently am) isn't out of the ordinary. With a rating system like NHL, it's harder to recognize skill disparities between above-average and below-average players since the ratings system is so skewed.
  • Skill games. These are seriously addicting, especially the dribbling obstacle course skill challenge. Definitely a good addition and I hope they expand on it more in next years version because my main drawback here is that there are only 8 different ones at the moment!
  • The menus. This might seem like a weak addition, but I seriously can't understate how amazing the menus are. As a person who likes to simulate the majority of a career mode/GM mode/etc, I spend a lot of time looking and going through them. In the past, I've been dismayed to say the least at some of the menus in EA Sports games with how ugly, bare, and slow they have been. NHL 13 is a good example, again. The menus are slow and laggy, and aren't layed out well. Navigating through HUT or the GM mode was frustrating because of the poor menus and the loading times it took to go from menu to menu (i.e. going from the main GM mode menu into your roster, or into league stats... or trying to swap out players on your HUT squad). In FIFA 13, they are awesome to look at, streamlined, and simple to navigate. Some load times still persist when opening up a new menu, but the clunkiness/lagginess is completely gone.

Dislikes:
  • Sim times. Again, from a guy who mainly simulates the career mode and only plays a few games a year, the sim times in this (and all EA games for that matter) are flat out bad. Slightly better than NHL 13, but that's not saying much.
  • Foul inconsistency. While a little inconsistency is a good thing, it just seems like the way the fouls and bookings are handed out is a huge toss up. I've been completely mauled off the ball by the CPU in the box numerous times before but have yet to receive a penalty. I notice that you are more likely to get a foul called in your favor if they try to jostle or tackle you while you are doing a skill move, however.
  • Crabwalking. Not sure why it's in, but when a player gets close to a defender while controlling the ball they go into this weird "crabwalking" animation where it looks like they are galloping sideways. It's harder to control than if you were just running normally and the transition can throw you off and cause unnecessary turnovers.