View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
cwash020
Rookie

cwash020's Arena

OVR: 15
This is my humble opinion, so feel free to disagree. But if I am asked to choose between APF gameplay with canned animations and Madden with real time physics - then I will take APF all day long. Listen, I have no allegiance to 2K, Sony, or EA. But at the end of the day I am a 30 plus father of two with a 9-5 job. So when I have time to play, I choose to play sports games that provide a huge fun factor AND a sense of realism. Madden 13 made strides with the Infinity Engine, but had significant issues with the CCM mode and on the field action to the point where it was only fun in bursts for me. And the simple fact is that when I pop APF back in my 360 it still does many things better than Madden 13 regardless of real time physics.

Props to NBA 2K for providing a very realistic game in terms of presentation and player differentiation. But outside of 2K11, this series has bored me to tears over the last 5-6 years. Part of that can be attributed to my lack of interest in the NBA compared to the late 80s/early 90s. Nevertheless, they are managing to get by without real time physics.

To me FIFA got it right this generation. They have some level of a real physics model, but managed to not to have as many wonky animations/bugs. And most importantly, it's still a very enjoyable game.

I think if these companies focus too much on physics they are going to lose sight of what makes a game fun and complete. (i.e. look at the quality of the graphics in Madden 12 vs. Madden 13, am I the only one who thinks they got worse with the Infinity Engine).