View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
JHeyBraves
Pro

JHeyBraves's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The Lions Den | JHB's Detroit Lions

Leshoure Faces Two Game Suspension

The NFL has reached a decision regarding Lions running back Mikel Leshoure. Leshoure missed his entire rookie season with a torn Achilles tendon and it appears we will have to wait a little bit longer to see him in action. He will be suspended for the first two regular season games for violating the league's substance abuse policy and will be eligible to return in Week 3 against the Tennessee Titans. In addition to receiving the two game suspension, he will be docked four weeks of pay. He will be eligible to play in the preseason.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz addressed the media soon after the announcement was made. "Even though Leshoure is serving his suspension, he can participate in most team activities. He can goto meetings, he can lift, he can get treatments, but he cannot practice with the team", says Schwartz. "During this time, we expect him to continue working hard and to be ready when his number is called, whenever that may be."

Leshoure did speak briefly with the media, saying, "I'm just going to continue doing the things I've been doing like I'm going to play. I'm going to have to get away from my routine, stay active, and act like I'm playing."

Leshoure was expected to be the starting running back out of camp with the injury concerns surrounding Jahvid Best's concussion. At this point, it is unclear if we will ever see Best on the field again. He failed his neurological test and the team has given no timetable for his return. There is speculation that Best will not be cleared and that the team wants him to accrue another NFL season in order to access the NFL's pension plan. This setback could potentially open the door for Kevin Smith or Jerome Harrison to become the starter in Week 1.