View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
WWBlue4
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Pure Gameplay-compare All Pro 2K8 to NFL 2K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
2k8 sucks because all it boiled down to was an arms race between receivers and defensive backs.

running teams are neutralized because they can spam Lott, Browner, Barney etc and stack the line to stop the run and not have to worry about the pass.

i could somewhat tolerate this if all player positions dominated their opposition if they were of lower tier. for example, Lem Barney never gets beat by a bronze, but is push against a silver WR. Reggie white gets stood up by generic olineman, so does Butkis, Lambert ETC. generic defensive lineman don't get demolished by gold lineman, gold linemen even whiff blocks against generics. WTF.

also, the fade route. instantly defeats single coverage, makes you have to unrealistically over commit to stop this broken play.

runningbacks are too slow. runningback moves come down to mashing A to break tackles or shoulder charging with OP players like Okoye.

oh, did i mention OP players? 2k made a big deal about "we're not going to nitpick skills in the tiers like arm strength between Marino and Elway", yet they wanted to make certain players the pick of the pack. Ditka, Lott, Barney, Browner, MAYNARD, Okoye, Metz. Manley being better than Reggie White, Van Pelt being as good as Wilcox, safeties playing like supercharged linebackers, poor line AI, and money plays like the deep out and fade. the game is really good, but suffers from a few killer flaws.

also, the game doesn't punish reckless plays. everyone talks about how great the teambuilding is. say you want to play a pressure, turnover defense? well you can't, because interceptions are dreadfully inconsistent, fumbles never happen, hits on the quarterback don't hinder passes enough. the game will occasionally hand you a cookie game where you get 4 picks without even trying, or get 5 sacks. and then the next 9 games you play, you drop about 30 picks, and you'll lose long yardage conversions on money play deep outs or lucky catches in traffic. your pass rush will just not be there, or you will have to over commit and get burned on screens and fades. and don't come back and say "oh, thats how football is, sometimes the pass rush isn't there", because the skill players never just disappear for no reason.

i think 2k8 gameplay comes down to too much lucky BS and prescripted games. 2k5 used to punish you for playing reckless with the ball. throwing into double coverage? probably going to get picked. your tackles suck? gonna get pressured. using a runningback with low secure ball? probably going to fumble (i lived and died by Tiki Barber and Henry Thomas). but i 2k8, you can just throw the ball around and feel confident in your odds. you can go ahead and take sacks in the off chance a legend dlineman gets pressure, because you're never going to fumble.

also, the blocking AI is pitiful. in 2k5, a defense could line up, and i could have a solid idea of where my line is at least going to try and block. not in 2k8. they whiff blocks for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

2k8 was good, but you need to take it off the pedestal. sure, players could dline glitch and hot corner the tight end in 2k5, but they can still do it in 2k8. the dline glitch is a little harder to do, but its doable. hot corners still work, and the fade route is like 100 times stronger because of the obscene speed boost the WR gets. 2k's chosen players take the place of 2k5's patriots, steelers, and eagles. field goal glitching exist. if the teambuilding and fundamentals of 2k8 are so great, why does nobody use any gold linemen online? why does it take so much to stop out patterns? why does generic tackle make Reggie White look like he's playing patty cake, yet Night Train slaps the crap out of generic receiver every snap?

I agree with some of your points. A person who wants to play fair has to not take advantage of the glitches and has to avoid doing certain things to exploit the computer.

With the Hex Editor or PC Editor, this game is greatly improved.