Thread: Crossing Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
OpTiOnMaStA
Rookie

OpTiOnMaStA's Arena

OVR: 4
Crossing Thread

I'm starting this thread to get some help and hopefully also help other with crossing and playing the ball in the air/headers.

I noticed that nobody has made a thread about crossing since 2009! I'd say that we're a few years overdue. Personally, I have always had difficulty getting my crosses in and hitting my target(s). Therefore, I score a majority of my goals from passing the ball around the back line of the penalty area, looking for an opening. This year, I want to make crossing a regular part of my strategy as well so I created this thread.

I want to get a few things out of the way first:

1. I've watched the crossing tutorials by PatrickHDxGaming and TMMgamer.

Here are the links for anyone who hasn't watched yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqGmVYvpvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Y4rXp6yh0

These videos are great, however, what I really need help with I believe is the nuts and bolts of crossing - what specifically to look for in the penalty box, how much power to use to hit my spots, whether to try to aim or just let the CPU aim for me (I use semi settings), and how to fight for the ball/win the battle in the penalty box.

For anyone who wants theory on when to cross or simply to know how to make the different types of crosses happen, the videos above are excellent.

2. My problems stem not from not knowing the theory behind when/how to cross OR not knowing how to execute the controls, but rather not knowing how to do it effectively. For example, my issue is not knowing how much power to put on a cross from certain parts of the pitch and whether to allow the CPU to aim it for me or to try to aim myself.

3. Winning the ball in the air/winning the battle in the penalty area is a problem for me. I kind of need to know the nuts and bolts to this too. Essentially, what do you try to do when you get control of a player? Do you try to continue moving forward with them? Do you just hit shoot as soon as the player is switched to and hope the CPU can get you into position for the shot? Do you have any effective tactics you like to use to "muscle" the defense out of your way?

Any and all help on this would be appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove