View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Bmore Irish
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Starting over again - Pro's and Con's of the 3-4, 4-3 or 46

Oakland's defensive playbook has base 4-3, 46, and besides your typical Nickel and Dime, they also have a 3-2-6 Dollar package. I love the versatility I find using this playbook.

Also, at least in real-life terms (idk how well it translates to Madden) the 3-4 is good for bringing a variety of blitzes that can be well disguised or overload a particular gap. you have to be wary of the potential of gashing inside runs though, especially if you lack the personnel, such as a big physical nose tackle who can occupy multiple blockers while also actually being able to stop the run.

Speaking to Madden specifically, I'm in a CCM with the Lions, and they run a 4-3. The linebacking personnel I inherited on that team are exceptional in coverage, and not just zone, even some great man coverage (better than some safeties). I find this to be especially helpful against teams that use multiple tight end sets where the mismatch between a TE and LB could be absolutely devastating to LBs with poor coverage ability.

I think the key, regardless to any defense you use, is recognizing the capabilities of your personnel and playing within those capabilities. Sure you can acquire talent and skills to build a certain defense, but you also need to at least initially be able to adapt to what you have. If you have CBs with poor press skills, low strength, and who aren't particularly fast, then you sure aren't going to want to be calling a lot of press coverage, especially against a team who has some fast receivers on the outside and are trying to go vertical and beat you deep.