View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
pietasterp
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoo316
I fear you're right, but I hope this was all a wake up call to EA. Back when EA got big, games were mostly for kids. They catered to kids and what kids wanted and what kids liked. There's a whole generation of us ~25+ that still game as adults and are/were some of EA's most loyal fans. This goes beyond just EA Sports, this is EA company wide. Everything they have put their hands on in recent memory (minus FIFA) they have run into the ground trying to cater to the teenagers of today.

The sooner they realize their games are played and loved by people of all ages and begin building games around multiple generations, the better-off they will be.
If you were going to be the next CEO of EA, then I'd feel much better about EA taking the right messages from their last decade and moving forward in a positive direction...but if history is any guide, the next guy they bring in will be some hatchet-man who will try to cut his way back to prosperity (as if that's ever worked...) and leverage existing platforms (i.e. Origin) to the hilt in the most onerous of ways, all while pushing microtransactions and "new" revenue streams to the limit that gamers will take, all in an endless (and misguided) attempt to turn EA into some chimera of Facebook and Zynga.

Hopefully, I'm way off, but when the investors start getting ideas about industries they (largely) don't really understand, the results are rarely pretty...