View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Wheeler Dealer
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: The 2016 GB Packers

I intend to cover my 2018 Packers offseason in this post.

I saved and took a quick at available jobs. The Cowboys were shopping and they need help! I started to go but I decided I wanted to finish my GB run first.

For the second year in a row I fired my GM (team goal again). This time I got Tom Tedson who was an improvement over my prior GM. I also had a team goal to hire a college coach. I didn't really think this would happen since I have turned the staffing process over to the GM and owners. But I figured I had to at least fire a coordinator to make it possible so I fired my DC, Bruce Spagnola. My owners wanted me to promote Ronde Barber so I did. That was also an improvement but Sam Madison who replaced Ronde at LBC was a big step down. The owners had me keep the rest.

The next order of business was to look at the RFAs and decide what was happening there. I had 4 RFAs to deal with.

RE 79/86 26 J Gordon $4.0M est. market price, tender level 1
CB 77/83 26 S McGuffie $2.3M est. market, tender level 1
QB 90/92 25 K Warfield $10.0M est. market, tender level 4
TE 79/85 25 T Beal $3.5M est. market, tender level 2

That's $18.8M against the cap if I can extend them all. Warfield is the only starter so I may tender and trade the others.

I estimated my draft class at $6.0m and if I extended everyone I want to come back it would cost about another $4.6M. I'm going to franchise Greenwood for roughly $7.5M but he will either be traded or cut by the time I need to extend Warfield.

I have $40M room under the cap so I can afford $10M for FAs, more if I don't extend all the RFAs.

There are three FAs I have serious interest in:

WR 91 29 J Davis est. market $9.0M
CB 88 27 D Miles est. market $5.5M
LOLB 87 32 J Atkins est. market $5.5M

I have some interest in FS 84 25 T Henderson est. market $2.5M

The very first decision is whether to "cheat" the system with McGuffie. McGuffie is borderline to come up for bids before the draft. If he doesn't I'll just lose him. It's a bug and the way to get around it is to drop and resign him immediately when the offseason begins. I decided I could replace him easy enough if I had to so I tendered him hoping somebody would take him.

I've always been a little confused about how the game handles the salary cap with RFAs so I watched a lot closer this time. When I tendered the first RFA (level 1) it docked me $5.970M. When I tendered the other three it didn't dock me anything. The total was exactly as though I had tendered all four RFAs at their recommended levels at once, even though I could have made different decisions on the other three. Maybe it would have corrected if I had.

So, anyway, I tendered all four RFAs as recommended and franchised Greenwood for $7.3M. Now back to the FAs.

1) J Davis. D McKinley 1452, 74-12 was my lead receiver in 2017. I couldn't imagine J Davis would do much better than that so I decided to save that $9.0M. I sure loved the look of that 91 ovl rating though! The bidding actually went to $45/5 without me bidding so I would have had to spend a bit more if I had gone that way.

2) D Miles would easily be my number one CB and he had a 99 rating as a KR as well! I decided I really wanted him. It cost me $38M/5, about $2M a year more than my estimate!

3) J Atkins was only a slight upgrade over DJ Williams but he was younger, healthier and that would make Williams and his $2.0M salary expendable. I got him for $11.5M/2 yrs. His cap hit was $5.6M.

4) T Henderson would be a good backup for both safety positions but I thought I could move him to CB and end up with a steal. I got him for $12M/5 yrs. but it doesn't look like he will be as good at CB as I hoped. He played there for me in 2017 as a 78 OVL without moving him. When I moved him he only went up to a 79. Maybe with the right coaching...

Meanwhile I got a offer sheet on Warfield. I was delighted. I could get him back for three years for $20M! However, as I looked at the upcoming draft, I saw greener grass! There were two excellent QBs near the top of the draft. One was JJ Sunday (Joe Montana)! Warfield was not the healthiest QB, he had missed 2 games his third year. He also threw 20 Int. his third year. IRL that would have led the NFL in 2012.

It probably wasn't the conservative, safe decision, but I decided to take the 1st and 3rd picks and try to trade up for one of those franchise QBs!

J Gordon (RE) and T Beal (TE) were returned with no offer sheet but McGuffie must not have come up for bids, he dropped into the FA pool and I lost my rights to him.

Somewhere along about this time I made one of the worst decisions of the offseason. Someone wanted to trade for M Vess (HB 84). I had given up a 4th to get him last year and he had served me well as my HB2. I figured I could get a serviceable HB in the draft or out of the FA pool and I took a 3rd and a 7th for Vess.

So, it's draft day and QB is on my mind. I've had individual workouts for both JJ Sunday and Rob Holloway and I think I like Holloway a little better. Sunday scouted out 93/90 and Holloway 91/92. But a Joe Montana comparison is so much sexier than a Trent Dilfer comparison.

Anyway, I figured I would wait until one of them went and then try to trade up for the other. Ideally I would like to get one somewhere around 9th. Silly plan, Sunday went first! According to the point chart I have, my 14th and 25th would only have gotten me up to 4th. I checked out what I thought each team would take as they came up. I was hoping someone would ask to trade down, I figured they would be more negotiable.

Finally I got down to 6th and it looked to me like the Cowboys needed a QB worse than I did. I asked to trade up and EUREKA, they took my 25th plus Ty Beal (TE 79) and DJ Williams (LOLB 85) who I wanted to move anyway!!!

I got this haul:

1-6 QB 91/92 R Holloway (Trent Dilfer) **
1-14 WR 90/89 C Hazelwood (M Muhammad) *
2-57 DT 83/87 L Keefe (J Furgerson) couldn't trade down *
3-78 RT 74/87 K Daily (R Tucker) **
3-81 HB 80/? L Hester () *
3-89 RG 70/89 G Figgins (Shawn Andrews) *
4-105 CB 65/89 B Terry (McAllister) traded up *
5-153 TE 1/? D Case (K Winslow)
6-161 QB 1/? D Morris (( D Brees)
6-173 WR 57/? N beck (M Muhammad) *
6-185 HB 59/? C Joseph (D Ward) (what can I say, I was running out of HB)

** Starter
* made team

I was disappointed when we got to training camp and Holloway was 80/92 and Hazelwood was 75/89. There were some nice developments as well. B Terry came in at 82/89 allowing me to trade S Montgomery who was too expensive to be the #3 CB anyway.

I haggled over Montgomery for weeks trying to get a 2nd out of M Martz and then Oakland came along and gave me a 2nd and a 7th! I was disappointed that no one seemed to be interested in Greenwood. I don't understand, if I sort DT by OVL he's 17th in the league. If I change my philosophy to balanced he only drops one point OVL.

Let me jump ahead here so I don't forget. About three weeks into the season after three injuries at DE I decided that if I had to keep Greenwood that would be OK. I did want to get that $7.3M price tag down so I dropped him. It looked like I would be able to resign him for his minimum $4M but 6 teams showed up to bid!!! I gave him $6M with a $1M bonus and some incentives he won't meet. I put him back on the trading block and still no one wants to talk to me!!!

I simmed through the preseason going 2-2.

Here are my 28 key Packers for 2018:

QB 80/92 24 R Holloway 1st rd
HB1 85/86 27 M Shakur
HB2 76/86 25 J Dumas FA pool
FB 84/84 27 S Payton
WR1 84/91 23 M Marshall
WR2 86/87 27 D McKinley
WR3 75/89 21 C Hazelwood 1st rd
TE 87/89 29 Q Forest
LT 89/89 32 J Fulmer
LG 90/90 30 J McHugh
C 88/89 25 J Coughlin
RG 91/91 34 S Cumberland
RT 82/87 24 K Daily 3rd rd
-------------
LE 85/90 24 T Elliot
RE 89/90 26 C Cobb
DT1 88/89 27 P Noa
DT2 83/87 24 L Keefe 2nd rd
LOLB 87/88 32 J Atkins FA
MLB1 92/95 34 M McPeek
MLB2 85/87 26 O Dent
ROLB 87/87 33 AJ Hawk
CB1 88/91 27 D Miles FA
CB2 86/90 28 T Lewis
CB3 82/89 23 B Terry 4th rd
FS 89/90 32 A Champion
SS 86/88 22 M Sledge
--------------
K 76/78 29 R Wilson FA Pool
P 84/90 34 J Ryan

According to my GM I have the 22nd best total team talent. I think this year's team is better than last year's and the GM rated us 10th last year!

I have $13.8M cap room left and can't imagine how I will use more than about half of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove