View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #99
balcobomber25
Banned

balcobomber25's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I think the NFL has a clear and direct vision for how it wants to be perceived and how to make as much money as possible with that vision. EA/Tiburon on the other hand has been lost this whole gen since acquiring the license. They wanted to be arcade, fast and fun, and pretty at the beginning, so I think that's how they built the game. I mean just look at Madden 09, lol, which I think was the game they had all wanted to make from the beginning of the generation.

Something in the culture changed(probably the success of more realistic games and madden being the butt of alot of people's jokes, lol) and they wanted to be more sim, but with what they had built, it's been hard to reverse. I hope now they have the vision and leadership they need, but I personally still don't think they have what it takes to make the game that I personally want. I just see too many corners cut with gameplay, animations, and presentation(off the field I think EA has always "gotten" it but bugs and time constraints hurt them). Things that looked good one year are absent or changed the next. I think the biggest problem is we don't get an explanation as to why these things change or why things work the way they do, why these decisions were made. I just hope with Madden 25 and this next generation we see their true potential. If it isn't bright, all of us who haven't enjoyed Madden might as well retire from video game football for good.
I think what's often lost especially on forums such as this one is what EA's real target audience is. It is not the hardcore sim focused audience that is represented here, we are less than 1% of the sports gaming audience. EA's target market is the other 99%, the people who will stand in line at midnight to get the new roster updates, the people who have no clue what slider sets are or do, the people who think scoring 72 points in a game is "fun" and "realistic", the people who think fake twitter feeds are the greatest thing to ever happen to a video game. As long as the "casual" gamer keeps buying the game in record numbers we will never see major changes (unless their is competition). Tiburon and Josh Looman have very little control over what does and doesn't get put into the game. Half of it is controlled by Big EA (who cares more about maximizing profits than creating a quality product) and the other half is controlled by the NFL. Everything that goes into the game has to be approved by the NFL first.