View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Flamehead
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: EA is 'Worlds Worst Company'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
1 - incorrect headline, the Consumerist poll only included American companies and was for the award "Worst Company in America".

2 - as I've claimed in the thread in the Madden forum, this poll made no attempt at being an accurate cross-section of the American consumer base; it was a voluntary internet poll run on a web site whose traffic demographics skew heavily to the 18-24 and 25-34 age brackets. Compound this with the observation that video gamers are typically young, incredibly vocal, and possess a pack mentality on any controversial issue, I assert that there's undoubtedly sampling bias in the population of poll respondents, which is enough for me to disregard the poll entirely.

3 - EA's practices are fairly representative of most of the AAA video game industry. I don't see how one could call them the "worst company in America" and not effectively call out every other major video game publisher at the same time. EA is just the flavor of the month once again, this time thanks to the SimCity debacle.

4 - if EA is really so anti-consumer, etc., why do consumers keep buying their products? Surely they keep making things that consumers want, and whatever EA is doing must not be but so bad if consumers are willing to tolerate whatever they do to have access to said products.

5 - why is this poll even worth talking about? Unless EA is going to react to it in any substantial way (remove microtransactions, limit DRM use, end the exclusivity agreement), this poll means nothing. EA will react to their own financial missteps (SWTOR) before they react to this because at the end of the day consumers are still buying FIFA, Madden, SimCity, The Sims, etc. AND their associated DLC, regardless what they are voting in this poll. If consumers are legitimately unhappy with EA, they need to consistently voice their opinion with their wallets, otherwise EA isn't going to change.
Eh, there were valid counter-arguments in the other thread as well.

By all appearances, it appears Peter Moore believes the poll more relevant than you do, given his asinine responses. 'Legitimate' poll or not, he does himself and EA no favors.
Advertisements - Register to remove