View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Bobhead
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Wow, Unbelievable Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
I will say the CPU made at least one questionable decision. They were in the field, had two outs, and I had a man on first. The intentionally walked my next batter to, according to the announcers (get the force out at third) or something along those lines. This seems like a weird decision to me with 2 outs, especially when the next hitter is my number 3 in the lineup - the one who hit that solo HR int he 4th inning, and wound up being 4 for 6. Anyone else seen weird decisions like that?
I had to really read between the lines, but I gather you were playing at home...

When you (as in the CPU) are on the road, and someone is already on base, a key to survival is manipulating matchups... that includes intentionally walking guys where necessary. The only run that matters is the first, the game is over instantly. So the most important thing is preventing a hit, even if it means shifting a guy all the way to third base to get to a scrubby hitter (and to open up the force at home, thus taking away most infield hits... obviously you'd only give a runner third with 2 outs).

I agree squeezes are a little too easy to pull off in this game, though I can't place my finger on why that is.

I had a walk off bunt hit a few years ago, also in extra innings. It wasn't with the pitcher though.

I was really scuffling at the plate, and I had a runner at third and Beltran at the plate... 2 outs. But I had already exhausted my best relief pitchers, and my bench was empty. I was also facing a potent team, so I knew that if I didn't win then, I had a good chance of losing the game in the next inning or so.

I was really really struggling at the plate at this time, and I didn't trust myself to get a hit with anyone... so I just sent the runner to steal home, and drag bunted for a hit, to win the game in extra innings.

Last edited by Bobhead; 04-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.