View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #792
Serra11
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
CPU vs CPU, 91 Bulls v 91 Bulls, Pro, Sim.

All players have freelance tendencies of: Spot Up=100, all others=0.

Drive the Lane/Pull Up
Paxson=63/77
Jordan=95/74
Pippen=65/63
Grant=48/32
Cartwright=37/28

It is not 'Drive the Lane' that creates the half court motion.

This team's playbook had one play, a 'cutter' play and no-one has a tendency to run those plays so everything is freelance.

The player movement is caused by either a pass or a movement of the ball handler.

What leads to an overabundance of movement is an overabundance of freelance tendencies and multiple hot spot locations for those freelance tendencies.

For example lets say you have a good PG and PF. Whenever there is not a play called and the PG has the ball you would like to see them do a pick and roll/pop/whatever.

Using the method we have here then the PG's FL tendencies would be something like; Use Pick=50, Spot Up=100 and the PF would be: Set Pick=50, Spot Up=100.

The PG's Spot Up Hot Spots are on the left and right wing, but his main pick and roll hot spot is the top of the key. The PF's Spot Up Hot Spots are on the baseline left and right and his ideal pick location is also the top of the key.

If the PG brings the ball up the floor on the right side and crosses to the left with a dribble, he passes through his main pick and roll area. This causes the PF to leave his spot up area on the baseline and go to the top of the key.

So, if the PG does not use the pick for whatever reason or passes to another player with no use pick tendency the PF is going to go back his spot up location.

This may not seem to crazy but this is just one possible interaction between 2 of the 5 offensive players on the court.

When players have even the slightest tendency to do basically everything, set a pick, use a pick, spot up, post up, etc. and to do so in may areas of the court. It results in mass confusion as the players have no communication with each other(if that makes sense).

Take it from average players perspective if the roster has him with way too many tendencies and location.

He is thinking:
Ok I'm gonna spot up here on the baseline.
Oh the PG has the ball and he likes picks set for him there and I like to set pick there, I'll go set a pick.
Wait he passed to the SF and I don't set picks for him, better go back my spot up location.
Hey now the center is where I like to spot up, maybe I'll post up instead.
Oh the PG has the ball again I should go set him a pick.
Dang it he passed again, I'll go set a screen.
Oh hey someone is setting a screen for me.
Oh look my favorite spot up location is open again.

When you limit the choices in freelance and the places for actions to occur then less action occurs if no play is called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra11
The players are really "calm" during the offense...they follow strictly their freelance instructions.
What was the Offensive Tempo and Attack the basket for both teams?????
Bump

I re-asked because I'm thinking right now that offensive tempo and shot locations coach profiles could affect floor-spacing.

Last edited by Serra11; 04-28-2013 at 08:26 AM.