View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #912
Sellaz32
MVP

Sellaz32's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
For my '91 roster I have Magic set to ATT=1 PO=99 right now.

I believe shot location tendencies play a large in role in the 'attack/pass out'.

I am starting to see the tendencies in groups, here is how I am thinking of them.

There is a 'major' set of tendencies and a 'minor' set with smaller sub-sets within the minor set.

The 'major' set is the shot tendencies, they pretty much play a role in everything a player does(when he has the ball).

All the other tendencies are 'minor' tendencies. Within them there are certain sub-sets that are clearly grouped together to show that they 'work' together, but are not grouped and still effect other tendencies.

The 'major' tendencies can override the 'minor' ones when they are being factored together.

Using '91 Magic as an example, he shot 12.0 FGA/per 36 min. With no shot location data we have to use game tape(YouTube) and general knowledge to deduce where those 12 shots came from location wise.

The only 'known' factor is 3pt att. which were 3.1 per/36 for '91 Magic, so he takes around 9 non-3 point shots a game.

From the research(i.e. watching games on Youtube), '91 Magic took most of his shots under 3 main circumstances:
1) Transition - either leading the break or filling the lane to get to the rim
2) Dribble Penetration
3) Post Up

Of course IRL he was always more opt to pass than shoot, but this is harder to accomplish in 2k.

So, to get Magic to be a more willing passer even with attack at 1 or 0 he needs to have low close and inside shot tendencies as well as post shot tendency. (Sellaz has said 'leave post' is a "pass out of post" tendency, but from what I can see it more often causes a player to stop posting, but not move or pass, basically they, faceup and shoot, I need to test this more).

Right now I have Magic's close shot much much lower than his other location tends. This is an attempt to get him to pass from the mid/low post instead of attacking. No soild data to present as this was a late change last night I have not really tested fully.

On another topic.....

Would anyone care to post a rough scale for Hyperballer's layup edits?

I think I use a higher scale than most, but I still feel like I see the right amount of misses.

Here is my reasoning, that is kinda in line with the thinking some other edits.

These are NBA players, they are the cream of the crop(total side rant; I know some people do not buy into this theory and believe they themselves or someone they know, played with, or saw played is/was/are just as good as NBA players, with some exceptions, this is simply not the case for 99.999999999999% of the people in the world even the worst NBA player would dominate you and everyone you know).

Anyway, they can make layups. Do they still miss layups they should miss? Yes, no one makes every shot, even uncontested layups, but they make more than than they miss.

In 2k, bigs typically have very low layup ratings, which seems counter intuitive to me. Another issue is; If I'm controlling a post player and do a 'baseline spin' but not really a drive as I am close to the basket(so more like a drop step really), when I shoot is the game triggering a 'shot' animation or a 'layup' animation.

To me these situations result in 'layup' animations and often have contact involved as well. Depending on the offensive player and defender you then get results based on the ratings of those players.

What I don't want is for big, strong, inside players to miss a bunch of bunnies because they took a little bump.
I had a very similar thought about layups..I mean...I don't want bigs missing layups, but what happened when I scaled them up was a lot more "fancy lay ups" from guys that shouldn't. I started viewing it as similar to the dunk rating. And the inside shot rating is scaled up as their percentage of layup success falls in that area.

Oh and I still stand by my leave post theory..lol. Give a big a 100 in leave post and he will constantly pass out...Regardless of his inside or close shot tendency.