View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
Only1LT
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
If you're at all familiar w/ me, you may be aware that the regression of signature animations in M13 is just one of the reasons I haven't logged much time with this game. They do exist in M13 [to be fair], but they work infrequently.

And no one really talks about it, even when M13 was in full swing.

Signature animations are the standard for sports games these days, and personally, they're a cornerstone of my immersion.

So why have this conversation now? Well, I fired up my copy of NBA2K. Sure, we all know that they carry the torch for signature animations and player likeness. But it wasn't til yesterday that I ventured into the 'edit player' option to do some tweaking to LBJ.

And it broke my heart when I saw the sheer number of options for signature shots. Shooting form. Shot base. Fadeaway. Contested. Escape dribble pull up. Momentum shots (3 separate categories). Post shots (8 separate categories).

Those are just the shots. That doesn't include customization options for dribble moves, 10+ dunk & layup packages, or even the 50+ tendency options.

That got me to thinking about Madden, and I know football & basketball are different sports. But we've been accustomed to one signature throwing animation for QBs. One. And if you threw a contested pass, a very short pass, or a very long one, you drew a generic animation. Shouldn't there be a Matt Ryan short pass? Matt Ryan long pass? Matt Ryan medium pass? Matt Ryan under duress pass? Matt Ryan pocket stance [that functions properly]?

And signature animations should certainly be extended to more than just QBs. How about running/catching packages for offensive skilled positions? Different back-pedaling styles for DBs? That's just a short list.

My point is signature animations made their Madden debut w/ M10 and have largely been ignored ever sense. I know Madden has a ways to go in several areas, but improvement to signature animations should be right up there if this game is to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the elite sports games.

Your feelings on signature animations, and the lack thereof?
Agreed and great post.

It's been even longer than M10 though. We had signature animations in Madden 07.
Advertisements - Register to remove