View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #40
Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: CPU vs. CPU in offline franchise mode? (Madden NFL 25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Huh?

I've never seen a demo kiosk at any retailer with the CPU playing itself. In fact I was just in Gamestop yesterday, it is not possible to start the XBOX 360 demos for Madden NFL 13 or NBA 2K13 in a CPU vs CPU context. (tangent - the Madden 13 kiosk demo also has absolutely no audio, which I found quite jarring)

Video games are meant to be played. That's the inherent advantage of the medium over all other forms of art and entertainment, direction user interaction with the piece of work which has consequences. Madden is no exception.

This isn't to say that the AI isn't important - it must present a believable challenge with strategies based upon real-life foundations in the case of a sports game - but it's the user's ability to compete with the AI (or a human opponent on XBOX Live / PSN / local multiplayer) which sells a game. Not how well the CPU can play itself.

All that said, the option to have the CPU play itself in Connected Franchise mode should be included in the game, particularly since the option is present in the Play Now setting.
Are you serious? I can remember like it was yesterday walking into either Electronics Boutique in 1999, that was the actual name on the sign then or Babbage's and seeing a CPU v CPU game of NFL2k for the Dreamcast playing. I think you are referring to the actual setup that allows customers to play the games but I am referring to the games that were displayed on in the store. In fact, there used to be a feature in sports games where if no one played the game for sometime, it would actually start a CPU v CPU game automatically.

So the fact that games are made for playing doesn't detract from my point at all, they should still look and play as realistic as possible in a CPU v CPU game.