Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #74
quehouston
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NBA Live 14 Video - Quick Glimpse of BounceTek Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
The fact that 2K12 opened up the "live ball" aspect should be a clue that it is an independent entity. They just pick moments to manipulate the ball to get back to the hand or to ignore collision with feet. Other than that, from what I've seen, NBA 2K can give everything promised in bounceTek. But the point is - do we REALLY want that? Well, sure we WANT it. But are really ready to play the game in a way that is required to respect such a feature. Frankly, I say "no". I don't see a user wanting to control THAT many aspects of dribbling, while at the same time, think about setting up shots and passes on a 8 button, 2-stick controller. That's just my opinion. The interface to a basketball game is quite muddy as it is.
And that was the problem with 2k's take on "live ball". They made the ball live at the wrong times. If you were trying to advance the ball up court, thats when the ball was live. But when you cut off a dribbler to cause a contact animation, the ball was glued to him. It should have been the other way around.

But as far as control, DO users want to control that much? Who knows? I wouldn't mind it personally, but I also a firm believer in sim play. And sim players make up a very small fraction of players.

This idea always brings me back to FIFA. In FIFA you can change your controls to manual, which gives you total control of the direction/power of your passes/shots. Could there be different level of control schemes in Live? Just brainstorming the possibilities.

But yeah, I agree with you. Overall, I dont think people are ready for that much responsibility as far as handling the ball, seeing how people are more prone to gripe and complain about the game being too hard, rather than trying to learn.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof