Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
StormJH1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Recruit question...JUCO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk49er
yeah I love to go after them late in the process. I fill the gaps with some guys who although they may be a short term fix, they can still be some of your best players. I got a JUCO 3 star who was a gem, 76 WR, redshirted him, by his senior year he was an 89. at the time I was with a school where an 89 was a HUGE deal at WR, he lit the sun belt up.

I used to never recruit them, but the change in system makes them more desirable if you were to miss out on your top recruits around weeks 9-11
This sums it up perfectly. JUCO's are older, by definition, so it's almost like getting a upperclassman without having to wait. Wide receiver is one position where this can really pay off. You may regularly use 3-5 wide receivers in a spread formation. It's pretty tough to keep that stocked with 5 guys that can reliably catch the ball, even in some good programs.

The fact that you can so fully learn about a player's traits makes this less of a risk. If he's already a mid-70's in catch rating, that's a guy that could play immediately, or maybe after one year of redshirt. In that situation, it doesn't matter that you don't get all 4 years of his eligibility, because you don't need to "wait" for him to develop critical skills.