Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #948
Melbournelad
MVP

Melbournelad's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: CPU vs CPU Sliders for The Eccentric Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhittle2308
I have noticed that this aspect of your slider set (which I find to be amazing by the way) has not been updated so I decided that since that is the majority of my Association playing, I would use your sliders to attempt to rectify this.

I started with the obvious route and used the CPU half of your slider set (PS3 Other Rosters) and tested it with a few games (on the 2K default roster dated October 31, 2012) just to see how it worked out. I noticed a few things for improvement with this:
  1. The number of turnovers was far better than league average
  2. Teams were not getting to the line as much as they would according to league average
  3. The spread of blocked shots was too even (Guards were blocking as many shots as big guys - I had a game CLE vs LAL where D12 failed to get a single block while Irving got 3 blocks)

So I then adopted the concept of "If you want to have two CPU users playing each other, then both of them should act like USER players." So I then switched to the USER half of the same slider set (with tendencies mostly at 50 as defined by the slider set - thus putting the control of many things entirely to the CPU as defined by the Coach Profiles of the teams in question) and tested them out with a number of games. Immediately I saw a difference in the way teams played and especially with the free throw and block 'issues' that I encountered. However, I still wasn't entirely satisfied with the turnover count as many of them were single-digit figures when the average is something like 16 in real life.

I then made a few changes to values like 'Pass Accuracy', 'Ball Handling', 'Go For On-Ball Steals', etc. in order to have a better chance of replicating the erratic instinctive nature that human player have which can never be entirely applied to AI.

The result is a slider set that I have been very happy to run CPU vs CPU games with and am more than happy to share with the rest of the OS community. Feel free to test them and adopt them as your own as part of the rest of the sliders you've published if you like what you see. One may argue that at times that there are way too many Points in the Paint but I have noticed that it is way more dependent on the coaching profile than ever before.

The sliders can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B75D...it?usp=sharing

You will also notice that there are multiple slider sets within the one slider file. This is because I decided to take the extra step and develop slider sets for CPU vs CPU not only for regular games but also for playoff games and the All-Star games which was an inspiration from another slider set I used in my testing. I have also included your original sliders in a fourth 'Exhibition' column as a recommendation to use probably the best set going round for User/CPU or User/User gameplay. I would particularly appreciate any feedback for the All-Star slider set I have as it is yet to be tested and is only my opinion of what the sliders should be like compared to my normal slider set.

First post on the forum and this is what I've got for the community, peace out guys!

Great post. Will try out your updated set when i get a chance.