View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
cuttingteeth
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.
Re: Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeithappen
I'm not going to continue having this argument with you. I just want you to know, that what you are suggesting would completely ruin college football. Also, if you start as a true freshman and a true sophomore, you ain't going to the NFL the next year.

And I won't break down how business works, but you are mistaken if you think Tom Brady makes 50 bucks off every jersey of his that is sold with his name on the back.
These arguments are thin, too. If paying players ruins sports, then why is the NFL rated higher than college football? Why is the Arena League even still active? I can understand that the pros are the best of the best, and far fewer teams, but it's still athletes getting fat sums of money...and yet it's rarely a guy that just quits and becomes a fat leech wasting his team's resources. There's been one instance of Albert Haynesworth and one major waste in Jamarcus Russell in how many years? The rest of them are all legitimately busting their butts.

And Brady...Brady doesn't need $50 for every $250 dollar jersey sold because he gets paid already by his team. Still, the fact is this: Per the NFLPA and the CBA, all jersey sales are pooled together, and each player gets percentages of a percentage after the merch and owners get their cuts. What this does is prevent mass animosity as well as prevents individual players from doing what college athletes may choose to do in selling autographs a-la what Manziel is accused of.

So you see...the NCAA looks more and more exploitative as you try debating on.