View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
BDawg35
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: B-Dawg's Western Michigan Broncos: Unfinished bidnezz

Western Michigan’s Kendrick Roberts fields the opening kickoff of this dynasty at
Michigan State’s Spartan Stadium.

Future star?
Freshman defensive end has
5 TFL in opening loss at MSU

EAST LANSING, Mich. — B-Dawg learned two things from his debut as Western Michigan’s football coach.

First, the set of sliders he tried for the first time appear promising. A 31-7 loss at Michigan State in which the Broncos had trouble moving the ball after scoring on their first possession seemed very realistic.

Second, while there may not be as many future stars as Western had in NCAA 2006, the Broncos may have one on their hands in defensive end Roosevelt Donaldson.

Donaldson, a 75 OVR red-shirt freshman, had five tackles for losses, two sacks and a forced fumble.

“He plays left defensive end, the position from which I get most of my sacks,” B-Dawg said. “He’s been given a great opportunity. He seized it today. Roosevelt has a chance to put up some huge numbers for his career if he can build on how he played today. I’m pretty stoked.”

At least there was something for B-Dawg to get excited about, because there was nothing encouraging about the rest of the team.

Quarterback Tyler Van Tubbergen led the Broncos on a touchdown drive to open the game, but finished 18-for-33 for 212 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. Starting halfback Dareyon Chance had an unremarkable 43 yards on 12 carries.

MSU is rated 93 on defense, so that was to be expected.

“This is actually the first full game of NCAA ’14 I’ve played,” B-Dawg said. “It’s always a bit of a risk that maybe I’ll have an unrealistic win. This was a good game. It had the right feel to it.”

Van Tubbergen was 4-for-4 for 46 yards on the opening drive, which went 83 yards in 13 plays, spanning 4:57. The drive culminated with a 1-yard touchdown run by freshman fullback Austin Guido with 4:03 left in the opening quarter.

After that, the Broncos never came close to scoring, but they kept the game close enough to have a chance. MSU led 14-7 at halftime before breaking it open in the third quarter on two touchdown catches by tight end Paul Lang.

The first scoring catch was an 8-yarder from starter Andrew Maxwell. Maxwell sustained a bruised knee on a sack by Donaldson with 2:04 left in the third quarter. Before Maxwell returned to the game, Connor Cook came in and threw a 46-yard pass to Bennie Fowler to set up a 2-yard scoring strike to Lang.

“You expect to do some damage on defense when the back-up quarterback comes in, but he burned us twice,” B-Dawg said.

Nick Hill ran 24 times for 117 yards and caught two passes for 33 yards for MSU. Linebacker Max Bullough had nine tackles, three for losses, two sacks and an interception.

WESTERN MICHIGAN FIRSTS

(Chronological order)

Kick return (first stat, period): Kendrick Roberts, 21 yards
Catch: Daniel Braverman, 4 yards from Tyler Van Tubbergen (first play)
Carry: Dareyon Chance, 2-yard loss
First down: Daniel Braverman, 15-yard catch from Tyler Van Tubbergen on third-and-9
Touchdown: Austin Guido, 1-yard run
Extra point: Andrew Haldeman
Kickoff: Andrew Haldeman
Tackle: Tronic Williams on 34-yard Tony Lippett kick return
Punt: J Schroeder, 44 yards (fair catch)
Tackle for loss: Roosevelt Donaldson, 2-yard loss on Nick Hill
Punt return: Kendrick Roberts, 11 yards
Sack: Roosevelt Donaldson, 7-yard loss on Andrew Maxwell
Interception: Donald Celiscar against Andrew Maxwell
Interception thrown: Tyler Van Tubbergen to Isaiah Lewis
Forced fumble: Roosevelt Donaldson on Andrew Maxwell (MSU recovers)

FULL STATS

Last edited by BDawg35; 08-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.