Thread: BCS is broken
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
boxtrev
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: BCS is broken

Man, I cannot believe the ignorance in these posts. DorianDan burned you guys. The BCS poll logic is broken and something that needs to be fixed (provided there is even another college football game).

The examples the baseball player guy gave don't even compare. Say what you want about the BCS. It's not senseless. There is a formula to it. You can argue that it is not the best system to determine the number 1 team in the country, but it's not completely broken and random. Plus, it's better than what we had before, and next year we get a playoff.

A three loss team who didn't win their division and a 2-loss ACC team are not getting in over a one loss SEC Champ, BIG Champ, or PAC Champ, ever. Like Dorian said, if there are three or four one-loss teams competing and two get left out that makes sense (because someone has to get left out). I'd even say if you have a situation like 2007 (which was an anomaly btw) where undefeated teams and one loss lose late (Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia) and you propel LSU (the SEC team) over one loss teams to face Ohio State in the National Championship that makes sense. But that was the perfect storm. Other than Ohio State, every other winner of the major conferences had at least two losses (Oklahoma, USC, etc.).

I think what is really hurting the poll logic are the preseason rankings carrying too much weight and there not being enough fluidity in the rankings early on. Have you noticed how hard it is for a pre-season top ten team to fall out of the top ten? Even if the top ten team loses in week 1 to an unranked team, they will still be ranked in the top ten the next week at 0-1. I've even seen teams that are 1-2 hovering just outside the top ten (#11 or #12). That is unrealistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove