View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Armor and Sword
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: OS Roundtable: Where does EA Football Stand at the End of This Generation?

Robert Kollars sums up my approach to EA Football both Madden and NCAA with this quote:

"I'm not a Madden or NCAA *****, I actually enjoy each title for what they are - a fun game of digital football, but neither title is a true simulation of the sport. I purchase each game every year and I have a realistic mindset and level of expectation when doing so, and that is why I can find enjoyment in playing them."

For the record I found the NCAA series far better over the course of this console cycle. Starting with NCAA 11 that series made strides with 12, 13 and now the best in the series ever in 14.

I can't say the same for Madden in the way of consistent progress. My first title on this cycle was Madden 10....which on the field blew me away but off the field crushed me. Madden 11 made one great feature in Gameflow/Gameplanning.

Madden 12 off the field as well as AI on the field for the CPU made that version the most replayable up to this point.

Madden 13..........ok not going there anymore.

Madden 25 IMO is the most impressive Madden package ever in the way of modes, intuitive menus and a great user interface in Connected Franchise. The depth of CFM is also for me quite impressive. On the field the game has been a huge surprise for me. I went in expectating nothing after really loathing M13's sloppy half finished product. M25 feels finished in many aspects.

Play by Play and color is the best it has ever been for a Madden title.
The passing game is so much fun, and feels really smooth.
The running game is something to behold on both NCAA and Madden this year.
The depth of CFM and the XP system is highly addictive.
Online CFM with real mature sim players is amazing.

So there are many positives to take away this gen. I think the real focus was more for online players than offline (I am primarily on offline player but have played in a very successful NCAA 11 and 12 online dynasty) and am now part of a superb 32 owner Online CFM.

I also tend to agree with this quote as well from Robert:

"I am willing to overlook this whole generation of football, and chalk it up to a bad engine and poor design decisions early on. My hope is that with the supposed ease of developing on the upcoming generation of consoles, we will see quite an improvement and some corrections to the glaring issues each title is dealing with in their current state."

The final verdict for the roundtable question is a loaded answer. I think for those who approach the game as I (and apparently Robert) do, at the end of this gen with Madden 25 I can say it was a huge success. I say this because it is hands down the best Madden football title I have ever played. And that was all I ever wanted to say about a Madden title this gen. I almost was able to say that with M12.....but on the field (off the field it was sterile and lifeless) it had a couple of glaring warts that I could not get past to make it the most fulfilling title in the series history. It felt like Madden 12 was a stop gap.....a band aid to a heavily bleeding wound.

Madden 25 feels like a game almost fully realized after getting out of the gates really late (it took them 5 tries to actually make a playable game on the field.

Compared to the PS2/XBOX era they hit gold on their 4th try in Madden 2004. And hit a grand slam on their 5th try. On the PS3/360 era that monster hit (and it is not a grand slam but i will give them a solo HR) did not come till the last game of the cycle.

NCAA 14 was a product of a steady climb starting with NCAA 11. This years itteration is also hands down the best college football video game ever made.

So what's next?

I think EA will hit the wheelhouse by Madden 16. I think for it to be a grand slam it will need:

A fully realized presentation package (NFL Network or ESPN style presentation, half time show, weekly wrap up show, dynamic play by play and color, player of the game interviews, robust franchise hub building off of this years CFM) and fully realized player interactions all over the field 1-22.

I have faith it can be done. I think the fact they will have a better engine to build from out of the gate will work wonders.

They must be focused though and have a clear vision and must be allowed to mold and build off features....not add and subtract every iteration.

I will be curious....and playing M25 and NCAA 14 on my PS3 for the next 2 years as I watch the new consoles work out their bugs, let developers get a grasp of the new power...then dive in when I see the all clear sign.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 09-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.