View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
awill25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA, EA allowed to seek dismissal from O'Bannon case

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
Yeah, I just can't possibly understand. Not at all.

8:00am class
9:30 work
12:00 lunch
12:30 work
3:00 class
4:00 class
5:00 class
6:00 dinner - something quick that I have to make myself
6:30 homework - no free tutor

No scholarship. No free meals. No free tutors. No free housing. No free books. And the University makes money off of every student, not just athletes. Research brings more money into a University than athletics ever will, and those research students don't make anything either.

They do it for the experience and exposure that will help them in their chosen field. Why should athletes be any different?
While I appreciate your argument, I do not agree. And that is ok. How boring would the world be if we all agreed anyway!

As an adult who now works a 60-70 hour work week supporting a family, I can honestly say that working is much easier than the job I had as a collegiate athlete. Going to work and getting your butt busted in the weight room/on the field or floor are 2 different things.

Adding to this, those kids give up more than you realize from 10-18 years old. I will always remember dedicating my entire summer to AAU ball and being in the gym all day when I wasn't traveling. My buddies were all at the pool/partying and whatnot and I was obviously wanting to do that, but didn't have that option....if I wanted to attend college that is.

I have many times seen the argument "Not everyone can play college ball". This is true! So my rebuttal is to talk to a collegiate manager who works with a team! Those guys see the life college athletes live first hand. I have yet to meet one who disagrees with the notion of paying players.
Advertisements - Register to remove