View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Staalker
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Why not start from scratch

It takes years to build an engine, it takes even more time to incorporate physics and then more time still to make it all operate on a stats based system.

Years, and all that time requires money.

Each year they take what they started building and they mold it more. It's a process that you'd have to see to truly understand, but it's not something that can be done quickly.

This is the core problem they have.

See, they want a new game out each year, and that gives them very little time to make large strides in the engine and code. Problem is, they also feel they need to add new features each year as well.

This further increases the resources needed to get the game "right".

Honestly, if they would just add the new art, the new voice-overs and then work to polish what we have for a while, each Madden would be better for quite some time.

As long as they keep trying to add new features and "reinvent the wheel", they have to skimp elsewhere.

Then again, when they don't try to add something new each year, people rage about how it's just a $60 roster update.

Not defending EA or anything, but I spent a decade making games. It's impressive, from a purely technical aspect, that they can even get a working game out each year under the time constraints they have.

I'd wager that they are working in advance. Meaning, what we got in Madden 25 was actually created last year or even earlier. By the time we see it, the tech is pretty old. Only way to really do a game like this with yearly updates and meet the deadline.

That's why I don't have much faith that Madden 25 on next-gen will be much more than we have on current gen. It will look better, I'd almost guarantee that, but overall the game will play the same. Loading times will be better, less frame drops and such due to hardware.

It won't be until next year that we see a true "next-gen" Madden.

I hope to be proven wrong, however.