View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
allhailben7
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Pre-snap changes

I'm getting to the point that I don't make line and blocking adjustments vs a blitz anymore. If I have my medium-length passing package in (2-3WR, 1-2TE, and beast 3rd down receiving back Theo Riddick), I just put him in the slot to see if they're blitzing. If they aren't, he's probably covered by a beatable LB for a wheel or even a fade if I'm feeling lucky. If they are, I'll send him on a quick out pattern and trust myself to make someone miss.

Sometimes I put my FB in beside the QB for pass blocking on longer downs. If I see a good deep route combination, I'll keep my RB in as a blocker to buy myself enough time.

If it's a running play and I see that they are either blitzing or playing press coverage, I'll immediately audible to the quick pass setup and send one or both on fades (I usually put my best release WRs in on run-centric formations to give myself that option on PAs and quick passes).

If I have a short yardage, running situation, I'll choose a run play that gives me a good counter to their defense on audibles (i.e. choosing sweep or dive while the Power O is an audible choice). If the numbers don't match up, I'll check to see if switching sides will work. If not, I'll try the audible and do the same, giving me 4 run options every time I try to run. This is especially effective on Goal line situations.

As for defense, if it is 4WR or 3WR 1TE, I'll go into man coverage, Dime. I have 3 90+ CBs, which gives me the opportunity to use the CBs inside package, sending my best press guys into the slots, which is where a lot of plays go in these formations. I'll call Man Cover 2, set those CBs on press, my next best on press, back off the remainder and user one safety to take away corner routes. This works best for me, since I have decent pass rushers and this makes the QB wait a second or two before the receivers get into their routes.

If I'm facing a team with basically one good receiver, I'll do man coverage with him all game long, usually adjusting LB zones to make up for a possible void in coverage.

Just don't try to press Fitz or someone like that. He'll kill you if you try that.
Advertisements - Register to remove