View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Optik
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Review of the entire NBA 2k series with thoughts and sliders for 2k14

I've always wanted someone to post a thread like this to talk about 2K's history and video game basketball in general. Good idea.

My first 2K game was NBA 2K5 on the PS2. I think I remember seeing reviews of it in Gamespot giving it a 9+ score (although you have to consider that they did call 2K4 "the best game on the planet" and gave it a 9+ score as well) and that inspired me to buy it. I had played demos of Live games on the PC but 2K5 blew me away with the graphics, depths of modes to play and the soundtrack. I couldn't really say if the game mechanics were good or not as that was the first sim bball game I owned. The 24/7 mode was easily the one that I spent the most time on.

After that I got 2K8 and 2K9 on PS2, and obviously they were just slightly improved versions of 2K5, with things like hotspots added. I loved playing on the Street Mode. There were so many courts, from a snowy Washington court at night to one in China. That's what made 24/7 mode so replayable for me in 2K5. Association progression then (like now) was terrible. I remember using the Lakers and by the 2nd or 3rd year, Jordan Farmar and Sasha Vujacic were 90+ rated players. The other thing that I hated was that plays didn't have playart like they do now, so my staple play was usually calling a quick screen for Kobe. Commentary was good with Bill Walton in 2K5. I hated when Kellogg replaced Kenny Smith in 2K9.

NBA 2K10 was my first current-gen game and the first difference I noticed was the momentum. This frustrated my brother when first playing against me as he had won too many games against me on last-gen using quick pick and rolls with LeBron and dunking everything. I thought the intense defense function worked well to keep close to ball handlers. Probably my most missed feature from that was the Dual Player Control, which you could use to call a quick play for any player on the court. Online was a bit of a joke.
Advertisements - Register to remove