View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #48
FaceMask
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Looking back at All-Pro Football 2K8

I agree with a lot of what you say because a lot of it is the truth, 2K simply did not put in their best effort, and what upsets me is how their reports came out basically blaming us (the gamers) for the game not selling.

Now, if I had to choose a game with great gameplay or a game with great modes I'll go with gameplay every day of the week and twice on Sundays, and All-Pro Football 2K8 was that game, even with its exploits it still plays far better than what we've gotten before or since and that's what counts most.

The other day someone who plays football games a lot asked me "what is All-Pro Football?" He never heard of it before! This reminds me of the question you get when you mention BackBreaker. You know what that says to me? It says 2K did a HORRIBLE job of marketing this game. I think we all remember the fiasco that was very public at the time regarding how this game was being marketed. It was so bad at one point that media outlets began reporting on the marketing blunders more than the game itself! Blitz The League 2 only sold like 150,000 copies but most people who play football games knows BTL 2 existed, smh. But there was a learning opportunity here for 2K, an opportunity that I think they became too stubborn and too full of themselves to acknowledge:

1. The game's failure was all of their own doing. They spent too much on legends, and didn't put much into the game's offerings.

2. They charged full price. To recoup expenses they may not have had a choice. But who are we kidding, this game wasn't worth $60. They painted themselves into a corner.

3. Blitz The League 1 for the original XBOX sold over 1.1 Million copies. The game was marketed brilliantly, and despite being an arcade style game it was a BLAST to play. It also had what APF didn't, tons of unlockable items, mini-games, a cool story mode, weekly training of players, and a LEAGUE PRESENCE that made you feel like you were part of something REAL. BTL's league logo and team logos looked professional and real, APF's looked like something rushed and not taken seriously. APF completely failed with that. Did 2K think people wouldn't notice that?

2K glossed over the league presence part to the point of giving the game ZERO identity and that was a killer. They were so worried about pissing off the NFL that the only thing they managed to do was piss off its core fanbase.

Then I'll never forget the very arrogant and abrasive way Jeff Thomas handled the media. Reading some of his interviews you just hoped somebody popped him in the neck. This couldn't have helped reviews any.

2K is sitting over there thinking "We put a football game out and nobody bought it, that's their fault! So they have to prove to US that they want one!" But what 2K should be doing is thinking "We did everything wrong with APF as a product. We blew a golden opportunity. This was our fault for making a half-baked product. But the market is wide open right now. Why don't we do this thing right this time and see what ground we can gain?"

I don't want 2K to end up like Tecmo did where they let their style sit on the shelf forever and then come back rusty and weird like Tecmo did with Tecmo Bowl Throwback. But I fear that this is exactly what's going to happen. I send messages to 2K all the time for a new football game, and I am absolutely appalled and disgusted at some of the project choices 2K makes instead of football. But I realize that because of the now wild success of NBA 2K, 2K becomes less and less inclined to care about football, and clearly 2K has distanced itself from All-Pro Football since you can't even find it as a sold game on the 2K site anymore despite even older 2KSports games being available there.