View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #53
illiterateoption
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Looking back at All-Pro Football 2K8

I seriously like every post in this thread. I bought my 360 in 2009 for APF2K8 to be the go-to title and it hasn't failed. In 2010 I convinced the best bro, a Madden player because thats what he knew, to pick it up from his local store...after digging through the bargain bin he found his copy. We have literally spent hours sharing stories of our created teams, classic battles vs the CPU, and playoff positioning amongst the best in the APFL. Crazy, but the individual style of each player, generics included, factored with the way each team plays (Scorpions are primarily a one-back/3-wide team vs the pro-set/west coast style of the sharks) adds to the immersion. Its all about risk/reward and finding the right matchup via formations, etc. If i'm playing the Iron Men - a heavy wide personnel with Dan Marino - I need to play a ton of nickel but they have a good generic RB too that can burn you.

This game would have been even better and more addicting with a franchise mode. Also, imagine if they copied and pasted 2K5's presentation, just without the ESPN logo. They almost did, but I'm talking about the power rankings, stat overlays, weekly league update shows, etc. CRAZY!

I've played virtually every kind of football game on a console and even without a legacy mode - In 2013 - I can tell you I am not slowing down with APF. Players have soul, stadiums are alive, and the CPU won't allow you to simply button mash your way to a win.

Finally, I appreciated how 2K football never sold us on compartments of football like, "true step" or "Vision Cone" or "Run Free with the precision modifier." When playing APF its clear that all players footplant and cut, Tommy Krammer doesn't have the same pinpoint accuracy as Troy Aikman, and once you get to the second level of a defense with Barry Sanders..and you've got a one-one with a FS...you're in control to run free. FOOTBALL is what this game gives us. Not compartments of football.

Please 2K, I'm not saying this to bash EA, but please 2K bring back an APF2K. Its sooo much more fun to play in the APFL than the NFL on a console (and I love the NFL).