Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
alifeincomplete
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NCAA sues EA Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
I think it's a shame that the NCAA can still sell #5 or #10 Ohio State jerseys and get away with it. But, EA Sports does it on a video game and they lose a lawsuit.

The NCAA should've been the ones hurt by the O'Bannon lawsuit in the first place. EA Sports was simply following the likeness guidelines given to them by the NCAA.
While I agree with the sentiment the lawsuit by O'Bannon -- and, in full disclosure's sake, I'm against the lawsuit -- should have targeted the NCAA itself rather than EA (in addition, I cannot get behind the mentality that says the schools and the institution they belong to (NCAA) shouldn't be allowed to sell merchandise that they own the rights to. It doesn't matter who currently wears #5 or #10 or #x, it's not that player's jersey and the team/NCAA has all the right in the world to profit from it.

Break.

I don't think the lawsuit for breach of contract will go very far. I think it's shortsighted on NCAA's part; moreso a reactionary measure than anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove