View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
JoshC1977
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Looking for the basics of the game

The last time I played a soccer game was on the Sega Genesis. The last time I paid attention to soccer, Hagi was still an elite player. I have a solid understanding of the rules of the game and some of the basic strategies (enough to recognize a well-executed play) from a college friend who was from Romania (thus the Hagi reference).

Now, I picked up FIFA 14 (PS4....yes, I know this isn't the next-gen forum, but this isn't a thread about that version). It's a beautifully crafted game that I could find myself getting immersed in over the cold winter months before baseball season begins. The problem is that I am lacking a fair amount of knowledge about the game of soccer itself (and FIFA 14 has so much depth). Some of the areas where I am lacking are as follows:

• What are the roles and responsibilities of each position? What traits should players at each position have? Now, I understand forwards, midfielders, and defenders; I am going deeper than that (i.e. a fullback).
  • What are the strengths and weaknesses of each formation and what strategies go best with them?
  • What's a good solid league to start with (I only play offline)? I only know a handful of players and teams. I'd like to use a good, solid team, but not one that is elite. I thought about starting with my hometown Columbus Crew in the MLS, but not sure if it would be a good choice starting out.
Aside from the last question, I am not necessarily asking for people to spend a ton of time answering my questions in this thread (though it would be awesome). I'd love it though if people know of other good websites that can help begin to answer my questions.

I have to understand the strategies of a game to derive enjoyment from it; I am hoping those of you here could help me out.
Advertisements - Register to remove