View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #26
Sundown
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: PastaPadre: VC Implementation Threatens The Future Of The NBA 2K Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadlowe
VC has secondary effects beyond just skewing the game economy.

The only reason why you are limited to 5 saves for MyCareer/MyGM is because of VC. They have to use cloud saves to prevent people from hacking the save files to give themselves free VC.

So when the cloud storage runs into errors (as in my case) where the save files become corrupted, the entire game becomes unplayable because of VC. I have a gorgeous $60 game that I cannot play at all.

It is patently ridiculous that you have to be online to play MyGM, a fully offline game mode.

I have been a loyal 2k customer for 6 years. I will not buy another 2k game until VC goes away outside of MyTeam mode. It has no place in any other game mode.
This. 2K's placing priority on securing profits through VC over quality and providing a fun, robust product above all has caused the game to suffer technically, in usability, in balance, in satisfaction, and in gameplay through the loss of various functional and gameplay features:

-MyPlayer save reliability
-MyGM save reliability
-Inability to turn off Autosave (making the above two issues catastrophic)
-MyGM couch co-op play (probably because it can be glitched to help earn VC faster)
-MyTeam playability
-MyPlayer and MyGM progress (gear is ridiculously expensive and impedes progress as VC sinks in a shared pool)
-MyPlayer customization (forget about collecting shoes, clothes, or accessories. Forget about even creating more than one shoe for your MyPlayer to actually wear.)
-Overall Game Balance and Authenticity (Why should I be able to instantly level my player just because I've been playing a lot of Quick Games or MyGM?)
-Loss of Coach Mode
-Ability to Save/Load Rosters to Hard Drive anytime (which I suspect was discouraged as part of the everything-online-walled-garden movement driven by VC)
-Expending resources on a barely functional The Park in liew of the highly demanded MyCrew (likely built simply to expose hundreds of MyPlayers to each other with forced waits to encourage more gear sales. It also makes sense that CG 2K featured and hyped "Crews", possibly a quick hack of Blacktop to get a homeless man's version of The Park in for the same purpose).

The core gameplay is good, but I am not sure I've ever seen a game lose so many features, modes, options, and simultaneously cause potential catastrophic technical issues all for the sake of expanding microtransaction residuals.

Last edited by Sundown; 12-11-2013 at 12:39 AM.