Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #214
El_Poopador
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If NBA Live Has a Future, It Has to Look Radically Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
You're completely missing his overall point man. He's saying that another company has been squeezed out of the market by the other two titles at this point. What you seem to continue to ignore or fail to realize or something is that this is a business. Like has been mentioned before, these companies care about sales. While it might be all well and good to make games because people want to see them and play them, if the sales aren't there to justify the cost of making the damn things, companies aren't going to waste their time.

NBA 09 sold around 400 thousand copies and that's a number as it currently stands, not sure the numbers at the time. Compared to 2.16m for Live 09 and 2.28m for 2K9. They weren't making any headway in the market so they pulled out. The following year (again numbers are current standings) Live sold 1.16m and 2K did 2.80. The market now has been further dwindled for efforts after number one. Even now Live has sold about 70 thousand copies. Most of that (if not all) is from the established base of Live fans who will play this game no matter how bad it is and tell the world that it's not as bad as people think. It really is. Anyway, you're asking for another company to put up the money to get the rights to make an NBA game, to pay a team to put a quality effort together, commentators for the game and so on. That's also asked for on systems that are even more expensive to develop on. There's no incentive to footing that bill, sorry.
youre not even arguing against my initial point. my point is that ea is not preventing anyone else from trying. i never said other companies should try right now. the post i originally replied to said that ea needs to stop making nba games so someone else can. someone else certainly can make an nba game whether ea is doing it or not. whether its financially feasible or a good idea is a completely different argument.