View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #1022
loadleft
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1986
I finally played NBA live today and the demo and the retail copy is night and day, which is a good thing, it feels and plays very good

I do have a couple issues though PIP is ridiculously high, this might be a personal issue but I'm struggling with mid range shots and 3 pointers what am I doing wrong in that respect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
I've been playing the last couple of days and I'm really getting into the game.

But I cant for the life of me stop the CPU from getting to the cup! What am I doing wrong?..

Try to deny the pass in the post first of all. When the CPU is trying to feed the post, play the passer's outside hand and sag-off a bit, press steal, put your hands up or jump when he attempts to pass the ball into the post. Your CPU controlled defender will play the inside of the passing lane and with you playing the outside it would be difficult to get the ball into the post, this alone will cut PIP down a lot.

If and when the ball gets down low, always try to stay on the baseline side of the ball handler with your back to the baseline or no more than about 45 degrees to it. Contest the shots with hands up works best for me but occasionally I'll jump for the block, but missing it usually puts me in bad position for rebounds and/or 2nd chance defense. Defend drives to the basket with the same positioning, baseline side with back to the baseline not the basket, you'll notice it's much easier to cause the collision animation when done correctly.

As a general strategy I use the double team settings to set up help defense, more so than true double teams. I keep general coach settings to double the perimeter on the drive and the post on the dribble. I keep on ball defense to low or normal depending on the team and off-ball to low. Position defense in the post to top side or front works best for me. From here I use the pressure settings to determine how fast help comes. Against Howard and Asik I may set on-ball to normal or even tight, I've noticed the higher I set the pressure the faster the help comes so against someone dominant in the post I increase on ball pressure and if necessary I set it to double on the catch in the post, but this is only when I'm having trouble stopping him with everything else.

I've been testing all day and I'm liking the results from the defense described above as opposed to playing straight up as I described in my last post. When playing straight up the CPU will occasionally knock my defender to the floor leaving me helpless. Be ready to get back out to the shooters though because the bigs won't hesitate to kick it out. Usually I can get there fast enough to make a decent challenge on the shot keeping in mind to stay on baseline side of shooter and have been successful in keeping opposing FG% in the low 40's so far with PIP% in the 35-40% of scoring range.

Hope this helps!