View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Rhouston
Rookie

Rhouston's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Have Sports Games Lost Their Accessibility?

scottyp180 hit the nail on the head with this one. Unfortunately, we are in a "more control = more complex" mode nowadays, and I don't really see a way around giving users more control while keeping the control scheme fairly simple.

You take away the different button/trigger movements, and what you get is people upset that they feel like the decisions are not up to them now, but rather the AI, kind of like how some people felt about the new Skill Stick for NHL 14.

Much like Scotty said, I do like how EA Sports NHL series allows you to use NHL 94 controls as it allows me to play with my young nephews, girlfriend or other family members for fun, but as a sports gamer, I could never play fully like that.

I had plenty of fun playing Genesis and SNES sports video games as a kid -- no, they didn't offer anywhere near the control as we have now, but we were OK with that because back then, we didn't know any different.

Back then, I also had to walk uphill both ways barefoot in the snow to get to school