View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
scottyp180
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
I'm not a big fan of voice command in video games, but I think the implementation of voice controlled substitutions, play calling, etc. would be a great way to reduce the barrier to entry of sports games. Consider in Live and 2k how many buttons you have to press in order to call a specified play or substitute a player... way too many. Too difficult to explain to a newbie.

The only real answer to the problem is for all sports games to have very deep training/tutorial modes. They are a MUST HAVE.
Completely agree with both points. I'm not a fan of voice control but it could definitely help especially in the areas you mentioned. I don't call too many plays while playing 2k because it a) takes me to long to pick a play and by the time the play runs shot clock is running low and b) I need to take my eyes off the action to pick a play leaving me suceptable to steals and turnovers.

A deep tutorial is a must. My main sports game is 2k and the game is notorious for changing and tweaking controls year to year. The tutorial is the only way I am able to learn all the moves and even then I will still forget how to do certain things or forget that I am able to do certain moves. Not to mention that it would be impossible for me to learn everything by simply reading the in game manual. For those who don't know the tutorial is setup so that the cpu will perform the move, while an on screen controller demonstrates what you need to do and then its your turn to perform said move. Imo its a fairly easy way to learn how to do some of the more advanced and complicated moves in the game with out having to figure it out on your own or ask yourself "am I doing this right?" More games should adapt a similar tutorial if they don't already have one