View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
macbranson
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Pocket passers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandilius

One trap I fall into is I'll pick a play and I'll decide what WR I want to get the ball to before I even snap the ball and some times I have a tendency to force it just because I want to throw it there. That's one advantage I would say for not knowing your plays well because if you don't have a predetermined plan, then you're just reading the defense and finding a hole instead of waiting for this guy on this route, etc. etc.
I used to do that all the time. I'd have a certain receiver who I wa trying to get 100 yards or 10 receptions or some nonsense and I'd wind up just forcing the ball to that receiver after picking a certain play. It's definitely a terrible way to play, but I've definitely gotten stepped my passing game up since starting my second season.
Last season I threw for a little over 4000 yards, 30 TDs, 30 INTs and 62% completions. This season, I've played eight games and I have over 2600 passing yards, 27 TDs, 9 INTs and 63% completions. I've been picking different playbooks, reading coverages better and continue to use Cam Newton's mobility, but mainly to roll out the pocket or buy time to find open receivers. I really don't run much with my QB at all. I only have like 200 rushing yards for the season and I never run the option.