View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #23
RACZILLA
Run After Catch

OVR: 13
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
I love a good sim sports title, but I feel like in the last 5-8 years people have come to expect maybe (maybe?) a little too much from a video game.

I played football all my life (Pop Warner since I was 5). All the way up until I got cut from a couple practice squads, and no videogame will ever duplicate the experience of being out there with your boys knocking each other up side the head.

That being said, as long as I can come home from work play my Franchise or with my boys, talk a lil trash, have a few beers, Im good.

Maybe I'm wrong or too old but I dont expect a videogame to replicate exactly what I see on Sundays.

I DEFINITELY dont want to start "message board argument" but I do think we might be expecting a bit much from these videogames. Even if they promise us the world with their marketing campaigns, thats business. They've been doing that since early 90's Madden.

Do you guys remember looking at the box art on the back? Then when you popped it in your system being like "This doens't look like the picture." But I dont remember complaining we just got down with it and enjoyed ourself

OK, OK, getting off my soap box now...
It's a different time for sure. Expectations are higher. Part of it is that the value proposition has changed. Not really a Madden thing, just the way our industry is now.

It's funny you mention the art. What came to mind me was that PS1 era Super Bowl cinematic that would play when you put in the disc. It always looked way better than the graphics of the game. I can remember thinking how I couldn't wait until the game actually looked like that.