Thread: Running Clock
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #27
marks0124
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Running Clock

A couple of general thoughts. Just for the record - I play online under two accounts. My main account where my team is a 99 overall and under a second "farm" account where I storing players for future collections. That team is usually between a 92 and a 94. I enjoy playing under this account as it gives me an "underdog" role.

It's really hard to run a run based offense and not manage the clock. If you run a triple option playbook - you have no real way to score quickly. I've been running Wisconsin's playbook some - it's real limited of "usable" pass plays. You almost have no choice but to manage the clock if you are going to run this type of attack.

If you are playing a team that's much better than you - you might as well forget about throwing the ball to your WR's. Cover Woodson/HW Woodson make so many specular plays that it's really unfair and I'm saying this owning both of them. You can make the right read, throw the ball at the right time and do a correct directional position and touch on the pass and still see a flying one handed int where woodson leaped 6 feet in the air. It doesn't happen every time - but it'll happen at least once a game if you WR's aren't the 99's and that's enough to lose a shootout. Your only real option to score against one of these "mega" teams is to use some sort of rushing attack, throw a lot of passses to your backs/TE's or run some sort of glitch. Using either one of the first strategies just isn't going to let you score quickly - which will bring you back to managing the clock.

I don't mind managing the clock. I'll do it under both accounts although I'm far less likely to do it under my main one because I trust my D. I do dislike the kneeling in the first half, running backwards, "not scoring" to burn time, etc. I epically dislike it if you are doing it with 99 players against a lesser team, which I see a lot when I play with my second account. In general - I'll follow the other guys lead. If he starts going for 2, then I'll match him. If he's going to sit on the clock and burn time, then I'll do the same.

That being said - it is a lot of fun to beat a clock sitter full of 99's with a team of mostly golds.

Last edited by marks0124; 02-11-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: d